Wednesday, March 23, 2011

10 EASY Decorating tips you can do in A DAY!

I know that most people are so busy during the week, and just look forward to relaxing on the weekends. For me, I love to move things around, organize, and decorate our home in my free time. I know, I know....this is weird!

For those of you who want your space to reflect you and look GREAT, but don’t want to spend too much time on doing so ...this post is for you! These tips are relatively quick and fairly inexpensive to do. They just take a little creativity and A DAY! You can do it!

1. Organize items on Trays- Corral items like TV remotes on a tray on the coffee table. Put liquor bottles, glasses, and bar accouterments on a tray in the living or dining room. This adds detail, texture and interest to any surface without looking cluttered :)



2. Remove Upper Kitchen Cabinet Doors-! If you love the look of glass cabinets, but want an affordable alternative, consider removing your upper doors. Arrange your dishes and glasses in an interesting way and put miscellaneous items in low wicker baskets that are all uniform. Now, I know this sounds a little crazy, but just try it…you can always put them back on. 


3. Paint your lampshades- Buy an inexpensive paper shade from a discount store, and paint it a BOLD color like a red. A red shade makes the light incredibly romantic, flattering and chic. Any color would work just to add a little punch to a room…I am going to try this for our bedroom. I’ll post a picture to let you know how it goes!


4. Bring the Outdoors in- Put branches in a container anywhere in your house. You could even go to Home Depot and get a small spotlight to light them from below. It casts fantastic shadows into empty corners, bare shelves, or awkward ledges and voids.


5. Refresh your Bath- Change your shower curtain, or just the liner. Add fragrant candles and a small bouquet or flowers. Also, if you clear the counters of everything except your prettiest essentials your bathroom will feel refreshes and serine, like a spa. 


6. Update your linens- Refresh your bedroom with new sheets. My favorites are white hotel-style sheets with a colored border. They have such a classic look; you can buy them anywhere. I actually just bought Hotel linens from Ross at a great price, and it completely transformed my night sleep… I feel like I am on vacation every night…HEAVEN


7. Wall Paper the back of your shelves- Don't forget about closets and shelving. Try papering the back of a cabinet or bookshelf in faux-snakeskin, crocodile, or fun pattern...it may just inspire you to rearrange your shelves.


8. Remove your scatter rugs-Take up some of your rugs and bare your wood and stone floors. It also tricks the eye to thinking that the room is larger when you can see more raw square footage…. That is one of my favorite staging tips as well! People buy houses that feel bigger ;)


9. Accessories with books- Stack art, design, gardening, travel books — whatever you collect — on a table. I have said it once, and I’ll say it again, books are my favorite accessory because they're so personal and reflect your interests.


10. Hang Drapery High- If you hang your drapery rods as close to the ceiling as possible, with the drapery still just hovering the floor, your room will looks much taller than it really is, even it is higher than the top of the window. This technique creates a dramatic, vertical effect.


Make it simple on yourself! Happy Designing!
c2


No comments:

Post a Comment