Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Coffee Table Know How's
The coffee table is usually the last piece of furniture to finish your seating arrangement puzzle, and with good reason. It is hard to know what size, shape, finish, and color should be used to fill in the gap. Here are some tips to help you decide on what type would be best for your space:
1. The ideal distance from the edge of the sofa to the edge of the table is 18 inches. This is so that it is close enough to reach for a drink, but far enough to stretch at your legs.
2. Leave at least 30 inches from the outer edge of the coffee table to the TV stand or main focal point in the room. If the room is really small, you can get away with 24 inches, but 30 inches is ideal!
3. The height of the surface of your coffee table should be 1 or 2 inches lower than your sofa. Standard table heights are 16 to 18" high but if you have a higher sofa or entertain a lot you can bump it up a little so that is makes it easier to set down a drink.
4. Balance the scale of your furniture. If you have a solid color sofa, try a glass coffee table with chrome frame, and if you have a slim sofa, you can get away with chunkier wood coffee table.
5. If you have kids, a round or oval is a better option. If you need additional storage, find a table that have a shelf below for extra storage
6. Glass tables are less bulky and you don't have to worry about finding a coaster for your drinks. It is also great for easy clean up. If glass seems to delicate for your lifestyle, lucite and acrylic tables are great alternatives.
7. Wood brings warmth to a space, but tend to be bulkier. I prefer wood coffee tables in larger rooms with higher ceilings, and a lot of windows.
8. If your room already has a lot of wood already, a metal table or a glass table with metal base can be a nice compliment.
9. If you want to add a bold pop of color, lacquered tables come in almost any color imaginable. If this is the route you go, make sure to keep the rest of your large furniture pieces more neutral color.
10. Try to think shape with shape. If you room and seating arrangement is more of a rectangle than go with a rectuangualr shaped coffee table.